The job ad is older than 1 month and may no longer
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
Amyris has developed a high-throughput genetic engineering platform for designing and building custom microbes to serve as living factories. Using an industrial scale fermentation process, our microbes convert cheap sugars into a wide variety of high-value target molecules. Our end products directly impact millions of lives. We are pragmatic idealists seeking a profitable way to make the world a better place. We are convinced synthetic biology is here to stay and will have a major positive impact on our planet and everyday life.
Within Amyris R&D, we are searching for a highly energetic, curious, and self-motivated data scientist/computational biologist with a strong background in statistics, computing and biology to join our Data Science and Computing team. Research at Amyris is a highly multidisciplinary effort that needs brilliant contributions from life sciences and engineering disciplines in order to take projects from concept to market. From hacking directly on DNA in the lab to full scale factory production, every aspect of our work is facilitated and accelerated by quantitative science and software & hardware automation. The Data Science and Computing team works hand-in-hand with bench scientists and builds tools that enable genome engineering, protein engineering, metabolic modeling, omics experiment analysis, statistical design of experiments and machine learning models in pursuit of making better microbial strains or fermentation processes. In short, we help accelerate the design-build-test-analyze cycle in synthetic biology.
- Iteratively develop computational algorithms, analyses, visualization tools and machine learning models to meet evolving scientific needs and to aid rapid data-driven decision making while working with a variety of data types including: genotype (NGS), phenotype (metabolomics, proteomics, GC/MS, spectroscopy, fermentation), material flow.
- Build version-controlled, computational workflows to analyze and model rich, high-throughput phenotype data.
- Interact closely with a cross-disciplinary teams of biology, analytical chemistry, and fermentation scientists to build data science products.
- Collaborate with automation engineers and software developers to mine experimental data and metadata from in-house enterprise systems.
- Communicate algorithms, analyses, and results to both technical and general R&D audiences.
- Research, identify, design and steward adoption of novel solutions that impact multiple projects and establish foundational capabilities for future projects to build upon.
- Work effectively across our organization, partnering with Biologists, Software and Data Engineers to deploy and integrate next generation of data, computational and machine learning pipelines.
- Degree in quantitative discipline such as computer science, mathematics, computational biology, electrical engineering, bioengineering or equivalent.
- Ph.D. plus 4-8 years experience, or M.S. plus 6-12 years experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience analyzing & visualizing large scientific datasets representing biological & chemical phenotypes.
- Demonstrated skills in the analysis of multiple large scale genomic and genetic platforms such as metabolomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and or genome sequencing.
- Able to extract novel insights from integrating and analyzing multiple data sources (e.g. high-throughput data, fermentation data, functional annotations, and other meta-data).
- Intermediate (undergraduate level) understanding of biology topics including: genetics, cell physiology, biochemistry, evolution.
- Experience with programming best practices (unit testing, CI/CD, etc) and version control while contributing to or maintaining large codebases.
- Hands-on experience with machine learning frameworks and concepts
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and intellectually rigorous environment
- Background in mass spectrometry informatics, high throughput sequencing, spectrophotometry, or industrial fermentation.
- Experience in a microbiology or synthetic biology setting
- Fluent communication and interpersonal skills
- Expertise with scripting programming languages (Python is preferred).
- Creativity, independent thinking, and passion.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com
. Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”)
, Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site. As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA. By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants
. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.