The job ad is older than 1 month and may no longer
Our technology teams at Zest AI thrive on solving hard problems that have a big impact on people's daily lives. We build tools to improve consumer lending by meeting the needs of financial institutions and their customers around the world. By leveraging a combination of machine learning and vast amounts of data, we seek to challenge traditional credit scoring models, while expanding the use of our proprietary technology across the fintech industry. Our team is committed to continuously leveraging and adapting the latest advances in AI/ML to benefit those we serve.
Data Scientists at Zest AI use the power of machine learning to build, validate, and operate models in production. This requires the careful testing and development of solutions to meet the financial needs of borrowers around the world. Our data scientists support customers directly (through direct engagement) and indirectly (by supporting the tools and analysis that power them).
The Enterprise and Strategic Clients team works with our largest and most sophisticated clients, composed of some of the largest banks and financial institutions on the planet, maybe even the galaxy!
Members of this team regularly act as thought partners for our enterprise clients to translate business problems into well structured machine learning projects, create proof-of-concept models for new business use-cases. Using best practices and state-of-the-art approaches, we also support our clients through the model risk management validation process to return practical value to our customers. For clients that wish to build their own powerful, transparent, and fair models using Zest’s Model Development Kit (aka MDK, a proprietary set of Python-based tools), our data scientists will train, educate, and provide thought leadership on best practices and state-of-the-art approaches.
As one of the primary teams with the closest technical relationships with our clients, the Enterprise and Strategic Clients team is also responsible for leading the development and support of the Zest MDK. Data scientists will need to both incorporate feedback from clients as well as partner with internal engineering, product management, and financial analysis team members to determine new potential use-cases and business problems where we can drive further value for our clients. Following software development best practices, we will then incorporate those learnings back into our MDK for continuous improvement.
In this role you will:
- Translate ambiguous real-world business problems into well structured machine learning projects with a propensity for action and eagerness to drive results forward
- Create proof-of-concept models for new business use-cases and partner with clients to define best practice model-creation processes as well as help them make trade-off-based decisions
- Support clients through the model risk management validation of Zest-built models and able to justify data science decisions as well as effectively and clearly articulate the intent behind why decisions are made, adjusting according to the technical familiarity of the audience
- Build demos, guidance documentation, and assist with training to help clients become more proficient with the Zest model development kit (MDK) Python packages and modeling best practice
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams composed of engineering, product management, and financial analysis to identify and manage high leverage opportunities for modeling work
- Design and implement highly generalizable models for predicting various outcomes. Incorporate and develop learnings back into the product for continuous improvement opportunities
- Take responsibility for modeling implementation in real-world settings. This may include creating experiments and developing prototypes, with the goal of returning practical value to our customers
We are looking for:
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, etc.), with hands-on experience of 2 years or more. Experience in financial services is a plus.
- Strong fundamentals in programming, statistics, mathematics, and ML algorithms (neural networks, tree-based methods, optimizers, super/unsupervised learning, feature engineering, etc.)
- Experience in working with cross-functional stakeholders with varying degrees of technical and mathematical expertise
- Expert experience designing, developing, and implementing machine learning models/algorithms. Familiar with implementing and developing/extending ML/AI frameworks (TensorFlow, XGBoost, Scikit-learn, etc.).
- Experience with modular/modern software design practices strongly preferred, in addition to experience with Python.
- Passionate about ML/AI and how it can improve on the world
Perks and benefits:
All Zestians experience:
- The opportunity to join a mission-focused company
- People – the best part of Zest!
- Robust health and dental plans
- 401(k) with generous company match
- Unlimited vacation time, 11 company holidays, and winter break (shutdown)
- Generous family leave policy (12 week maternity leave / 6 week paternity leave)
- Tuition reimbursement, communications expense reimbursement, and conference allowance
Our Burbank, CA area, remote or hybrid model (typically 2 days/week) Zestians experience:
About Zest AI:
- Beautiful, modern, dog-friendly office with lounge areas, video games, and gigantic jigsaw puzzles
- Daily catered lunches from LA’s best restaurants and a fully stocked kitchen
- Complimentary manicures and pedicures
- On-site gym with fitness classes
- Company happy hours, social events, outings, and much more!
Zest AI has been perfecting AI for consumer lending decisions since 2009. Our Model Management System helps lenders make better decisions and better loans—increasing revenue, reducing risk, and automating compliance. Our mission is to make fair and transparent credit available to everyone and our software creates some of the most inclusive risk models in the industry. Using Zest-built machine learning software, financial institutions can dramatically expand credit access to deserving people with no added risk. Learn more at Zest.ai and connect with us on Twitter @Zest_AI or our Insights blog.
Zest is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages professionals from underrepresented groups in technology and financial services to apply.
and agree to the use of my information as set forth in the Policy.