The job ad is older than 1 month and may no longer
About the role:
Scott’s Cheap Flights is a bootstrapped, profitable, travel tech startup that is on a mission to help people travel and experience the world. Our 55+ person team is fully distributed and has been for the past six years.
Scott’s Cheap Flights is hiring for a Data Engineer II. As the world's favorite cheap flight alert platform, we're constantly looking for ways to improve our members' experience. This role will build and optimize a distributed data platform for machine learning and is an experienced data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up.
In the short term, you will:
- Partner with leadership, engineers, marketing, product, and data analysts to understand data needs.
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Build and manage data collection and ELT pipelines with a focus on data quality
- Identify, design, and implement internal data architecture and process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, and more.
In the long term, you will:
- With the guidance and cooperation of the data analytics team, assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Participate in data governance implementation and strategy
- Build continuous integration / continuous deploy (CI/CD) pipelines for dashboards and datasets for the organization ensuring change management and version control for data assets
What you know:
- 5+ years of experience in scripting languages like Python etc.
- 5+ years of SQL experience.
- Excellent communication skills and able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions and to build data sets that answer those questions.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured datasets.
- Experience with Big Data technologies e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark.
- Experience using dbt to build data pipelines.
- Experience in working and delivering end-to-end projects independently.
- At least one BI Tool (Metabase, Superset, Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, Qlik, Kibana, Sisense)
- Experience with AWS or better yet, certifications in AWS services.
- Experience with ETL, Data Modeling, Data integration, Scripting and working with large-scale data-sets. Extremely proficient in writing efficient SQL on and working with large data volumes.
- Experience driving architecture and tooling focused on data quality and validation.
- Experience tracking data lineage, using automated tests to ensure data quality, and implementing tools and processes that improve the discoverability of data.
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools (e.g. Apache Airflow, AWS Step Functions)
- Experience with streaming technologies such as Kafka or Event Hub
- Experience using Snowflake or Google Big Query as a data warehouse.
- Experience with Apache Spark or other distributed compute systems
- Experience with notebook-based Data Science workflow.
- Experience in the travel industry
Why you might love working here:
- 100% remote work environment, so go ahead and bring your dog to work or wear your PJs to the office!
- $500/Quarter Remote Work Stipend
- Open vacation policy, with a 3-week minimum!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with a 5% match
- Up to 12-weeks of paid family leave
- No Meeting/Flex Fridays
- Meetup meals when you cross paths with a co-worker
- Continuing education & development reimbursement
- Yearly team retreat (In 2021, we went to Cabo San Lucas. In April, we went to Charleston. In September, we’re heading to ... you’ll have to join to find out. 😊)
We want you to bring your authentic self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to ancestry; age; appearance; color; gender identity and/or expression; genetics; family or parental status; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; mental, physical, or sensory disability; national, social or ethnic origin; past or present military service; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; race; religion or belief.
If you require reasonable accommodation or assistance for any part of the interview and employment process, please contact us at email@example.com
and let us know the nature of your request.